T20 World Cup final: SA captain Markram says there is real hunger for victory

Popular Blog
4 min read2 days ago

--

[ad_1]

South African captain Aiden Markram (left) studies the pitch during a training session ahead of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup Cricket, the final between India and South Africa, in Barbados on June 28, 2024.

South African captain Aiden Markram (left) studies the pitch during a training session ahead of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Cricket, the final match between India and South Africa, in Barbados on June 28, 2024. | Photo credit: KR Deepak

South Africa are not known for handling pressure well on the big stage, but they have had narrow victories in this competition, giving them a strong belief that victory is possible from any situation, captain Aiden Markram said before the T20 World Cup Final against India in Barbados.

India, a team full of superstars, must overcome the pressure of not having won an ICC title since 2013, while South Africa go into their first World Cup final without ever having been in this position before.

Ahead of Saturday’s summit showdown, Markram was predictably reminded of the past when the Proteas crumbled under the pressure.

ALSO READ: Revisiting South Africa’s painful past at ICC events

“Honestly, I probably just see it as a new form of cricket. We all know India are a great team. We as South Africans have been moving in the right direction over the last few years but perhaps haven’t progressed as far in the tournaments as we would have liked.

“So, tomorrow we have an exciting game against a strong opponent in India, but also a great opportunity for us as Proteas,” said Markram.

Both South Africa and India go into the final undefeated, with South Africa having to endure many setbacks along the way.

They struggled to beat Nepal and Bangladesh earlier in the competition, and even their low-scoring game against co-hosts West Indies could have gone either way.

Markram said his players had gained a lot of confidence from these close victories and would not settle for second place.

“There were close moments in the games that probably would have influenced the result and we managed to win those moments.

“The fact that we’ve done that two, three or maybe four times so far in the entire competition has given the team the belief that you can win from any position. And I think that’s pretty important for a team,” said Markram.

India is the clear favorite for the title, but South Africa also has a lot to offer.

They want to add a new chapter to the country’s eventful history, but their schedule doesn’t give them time to think too much about this occasion.

“You play a game, get on a plane, fly, check into a new hotel and play your next cricket game the next day. So I don’t think there’s too much thought put into it.

“But it’s more the chance to be in a final that really excites me. I think after the competition we will sit back and really appreciate what we have achieved as a team so far,” he said.

Markram stressed that his team is “moving in the right direction” regardless of the result on Saturday.

“But yes, we would love to get to our first final and win it. And hopefully in the years to come we can take away the burden of what a lot of other people say about us as a team,” he said.

As for the seven-hour delay in Trinidad due to the runway closure in Barbados, Markram saw the positive.

“Yeah, we’ve had a few (including in Florida). I guess a lot of other teams have been through similar things. And we joke about it as a team and say we’ve kind of gotten used to it now.”

“There’s no point in sulking and making it worse than it already is. So, yesterday was a bit of a long day (laughs).”

Commenting on the team’s attitude after the semi-final win over Afghanistan, Markram added: “…you say, ‘Boys, we still have one step to go.’ So it’s not dictated by the coach or the captain. The whole unit feels that and is driven by it.

“…Athletes are very competitive people and nobody wants to lose, and especially not in a final. So I don’t think the guys are happy regardless of the result tomorrow. I think we’re still very hungry to go out and win tomorrow’s game.”

[ad_2]

https://popularblog.xyz/t20-world-cup-final-sa-captain-markram-says-there-is-real-hunger-for-victory/

--

--